Sunday, May 18, 2014

Paint Historic Waxahachie - 2014

The Paint Historic Waxahachie annual plein air event has expanded from one week (in previous years) to every weekend in May, leading up to the awards dinner and sale in June. So I've been pretty busy lately exploring the designated areas on the outskirts of town. I feel like I've abandoned my family this month but it is just once a year that I do this. At least I don't play golf, right? Here are a few of the plein air paintings from the past few weekends:

Maypearl Water Tower - 12"x9" oil on canvas panel. There were turkey vultures warming there wings on the catwalk when I started this. Wish they would have stayed longer.


From Anderson Road - 9"x12" oil on canvas panel. An early morning plein air. I saw exactly one car on this little road near Five Points. An he was a fellow artist. This was an experiment in using an earthy limited pallet of yellow ochre, chromatic black, burnt sienna and white (with just a touch of cad yellow).

Five Points Hay - 9"x12" oil on canvas panel. From Five Points Road, hay bales for miles. Another limited pallet painting.

Brake Lights - 11"x14" oil on canvas panel.Another from Five Points Road, where the wind was blowing 30 and the cars 90. Not ideal conditions but turned out okay since I survived without becoming road kill.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your comments are appreciated.