Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Going Green: Two Paintings in One

Considering how expensive the finer canvas panels can be, it's always a good idea to keep failed paintings around for future use. Not only can you paint right over them but sometimes the previous strokes can give you a little added interest and texture.

#105 Cockerel - 7"x5" oil on canvas panel by Kent Brewer
For example, this painting was previously a plein air of the Rogers Hotel in Waxahachie, which I wasn't real happy with. I was able to utilize some of the building in the background. It's very subtle but the strokes are there, and some of the ledge of the building is evident. I thought about just leaving the hotel in the background as-is, but the colors would have been too competitive and sharp which would take away from my center of interest.

And even though some of the strokes go right through the cock's comb, I think it adds a little interest. 

This painting will be available by auction on Friday at DailyPaintWorks.com with a starting bid of $65. To bid, just click on the link shown in the side bar.

3 comments:

  1. This looks great. Best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kent,
    That is one very FINE looking bird! I really like your brushwork and the way the previous painting's texture shows through. Very nice.
    Cheers,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sandy. I appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your comments are appreciated.