Saturday, July 27, 2013

Two From Galveston Island

This past week was our annual trip to Galveston. We're creatures of habit, no doubt, but there's something to be said for knowing exactly where to go and more importantly, where not to go. Shrimp-n-stuff is always on the agenda. If everything on their menu wasn't fried we would probably eat there every day. But I digress...

I usually manage to work in a couple of paintings while on the island and this vacation was no different. The first painting focuses on some palm trees which I have somehow avoided until now. They're extremely fun to paint and they're everywhere you look so it's about time I included them. We stayed at the Hotel Galvez, a 1911 gem of a structure that has withstood several storms - including a massive one in 1915, and more recently, hurricane Ike. That's the hotel in the background.

Palm Trees at Hotel Galvez - 12x9 oil on canvas panel

My other plein air was from underneath Murdoch's Pier across Seawall Boulevard from the Galvez. That's the Pleasure Pier in the distance. While I was painting this, a small boy was standing behind me observing what I was doing while his mother was frantically apologizing for his intrusion. I  guess I must have looked like a homeless person living under the pier, painting to make ends meet.
Two Yellow Chairs - 12x9 oil on canvas panel


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your comments are appreciated.