Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My 100th (and how painting is a lot like fishing)

This marks my unofficial 100th painting going back about 30 years. I say "unofficial" because I don't usually count the completely failed ones. Let's just say this is my 100th painting that I wouldn't be ashamed to post on a blog like this one. While that's not an amazing number by any stretch, it does represent a milestone for me because about 75% of those were done in the last three years.

I was thinking the other day that painting, particularly plein air, is a lot like fishing. For both endeavors you pack some necessary gear (maybe some lunch), you look for the perfect spot, and hopefully you nail a good one by the end of the day. And even if you don't, it's still been a good day. If you do happen to come up with a good one, the feelings are very similar in that you really want someone else to see your accomplishment. I do, anyway. Maybe that's why I blog about my art... this explains a lot.

Yesterday, while not having access to the Internet because of AT&T issues, I decided to postpone my job-searching for awhile and see how quickly I could paint an oil of either a chicken or some other domestic animal. I researched some of my photo references and found one of this horse that was standing in the dappled shade of a tree along the Waxahachie Hike and Bike Trail. I really enjoyed painting this and plan to do more like it soon.

Shady Horse - 9x12 oil on panel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your comments are appreciated.