Friday, June 22, 2012

Hill Country Cumulus

Hopefully, after years of learning what it takes to accomplish a successful painting, one can go back to take a look at older works of art to see where they may need improvement. While watercolors aren't great for any after-the-fact fixes, there are occasions where weak areas can be helped a bit. After looking at "Hill Country Cumulus" (previously titled "Hill Country Stream") I determined that the value of the distant trees was too light so I decided to darken them up (at the risk of creating a muddy mess). I think it helps bring out the shear brightness of the cumulus formation and gives some distance and separation with the foreground.

Here are the before and after images:

before

after



2 comments:

  1. Hey buddy,
    You are really a go geter, painting new paintings and reworking old ones. I like your changes to this one. I think it makes a stronger painting. Well done. I need to do that to most of my paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, I could spend the rest of my life fixing old paintings.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your comments are appreciated.