Saturday, June 2, 2012

First Place - Paint Historic Waxahachie

The 'Paint Out' awards were presented Friday night and I was thrilled to find that I had won first place for my oil painting of College Street looking north. It's a working title.

The show was judged by artist, Rusty Jones. This was my last painting before the Friday 2 pm deadline which I finished on Thursday night. It took me two separate evenings on-location to finish it because I lost my evening sunlight on the top of the tallest building on the first day. That light is what attracted to me to this scene when I drove by here earlier in the week.

I was actually torn as to whether or not I should include this among the five selections I was limited to.  Needless to say I'm glad I decided to keep it in. Without the car and the people in this painting it would be difficult to understand the size of these buildings.

Tomorrow at 5 pm the sale wraps up and a People's Choice winner will be awarded by popular vote ballots... so get out there and vote!

On a side note, I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with ECAA volunteer Cynthia Nance today at the Sale. Cynthia's daughter, Samantha Shelley Nance, was murdered in 2009. Shelley was a beautiful young lady and a very talented artist going to school to further her talents in art. I was very honored that Cynthia purchased four of my pencil sketches today during the sale.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! So glad to see that your work is getting the recognition it deserves. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your comments are appreciated.