Thursday, June 9, 2011

Signing Your Masterpiece

For as long as I can remember I've been obsessed with trying to find the perfect way to sign my art. It may sound like an insignificant task. I mean, how hard could it be, right? Well, I have several paintings that I like well enough, but I can't stop thinking to myself when I look at them that I could have done a better job on the name.  I know for a fact that there are artists out there that are intimated by the whole process. Worried that they might mar an otherwise beautiful artwork with a distracting eyesore in the corner that just won't go away. Signatures should never be the focal point of your painting, good or bad unless your name is Oprah.

Most artists tend to have signatures that evolve over the years. This is a good thing. As our talents evolve, so should our brand. And they can often give you a good idea of a timeline for when it was created. Over the years I've gone from strange looking stylized letters of impossible legibility, to simply signing my everyday signature in pencil. Within the last year, I think I've settled upon a style that I will keep for a while. It's a style that I can replicate with ease using a rigger brush and you can actually read it without much effort. The timing for the change is probably good because I feel like I'm evolving my style lately. The only problem is that now I have to change my heading logo above and get some new business cards.

1 comment:

  1. You are right, the hardest part about creating a piece of art for me is often the signature. I've got several pieces sitting around needing to be signed. I think you have come up with a good one here. Interesting use of all lower case letters. I have to use my middle initial too, there is another Texas sculptor named Douglas Clark.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your comments are appreciated.