Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Medina River Dam - Castroville, Texas

Watercolor on 15"x22" Winsor Newton CP. A studio piece from an old photo I took while staying at the historic Landmark Inn along the Medina River in Castroville, Texas. This dam was built in the 19th century to divert water to power a gristmill that still stands nearby on the grounds of this State-owned park. I specifically remember this trip’s time frame because it was right after 911. Probably a good place to visit at that time considering how quiet and serene it was. They didn’t even have televisions in the rooms (even today). I remember doing a pencil sketch in the guest book of our little room of thick stone walls which was above an old washhouse from the 1800s.

The Painting- the thing I try to strive for the most in my paintings is to have contrasts. Darks and lights, warms and cools, hard edges and soft edges and in this case, man-made against nature. This dam, along with the overpass in the upper right corner are perfect for playing these two opposites against each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your comments are appreciated.