Sunday, March 13, 2011

Waxahachie M-K-T Depot


The Painting - Another en plein aire of the newly restored Waxahachie M-K-T Depot. The majority of this painting was done last Sunday. I took my son and his bike out there yesterday to finish it. He cheerfully rode around the brick-paved depot while I fought the wind. I'm not really sure what I think about this one. I'm still struggling with too many unimportant details. 

Tip - Don't struggle with unimportant details! Especially distant objects. Squint your eyes and paint what you see, but forget about the other stuff.

People I met - The family photo sessions were out in full force once again. I can't blame them. The weather was perfect.

Finished Painting
Before Reworking Sky
A post note on this. I wasn't happy with the sky (see right image) so I took a chance and reworked it which goes against my Cardinal Rule of leaving the sky alone. But fortunately I used a particular blue that is less staining than others so I was able to wet the paper and remove a lot of the paint. Some of you may think the first sky looks better, but personally I'm glad I reworked it. I also added a few shadows and suggested bricks on the ground.



1 comment:

  1. I like the reworked sky the best, it has more depth. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your comments are appreciated.