Friday, February 25, 2011

The Former Rock Island Passenger Depot

The Painting - This wonderful structure was built circa 1905 and still stands today just south of downtown Waxahachie. It was formerly the T&VB depot, later becoming the Rock Island Passenger Depot. Today it is owned by the Nay Company. I started this en plein aire watercolor towards dusk last Sunday. While I'm not totally happy with it, I learned a few things along the way and I hope to try this same location again during the annual "Paint Waxahachie" event in late May/early June.

Tip - using black for shadowy areas is not nearly as interesting as cool blues and purples.

People I met - nice families dressed white shirts, khaki shorts and posing for photographers were all over the place. And one guy dressed in a Sonic the Hedgehog outfit running down these same tracks while another guy filmed him. No idea... don't even ask. This part of town is very popular for photographers with two old bridges and two restored depots for backdrops. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your comments are appreciated.